Selenium is a mineral found in the soil. Selenium naturally appears in water and some foods. While people only need a very small amount, selenium plays a key role in the metabolism.
Supporting research & information
Selenium has attracted attention because of its antioxidant properties. Antioxidants protect cells from damage. Selenium is an essential mineral and a component of an antioxidant enzyme, glutathione reductase, which is key in tissue respiration. Selenium is a trace element found widely in the environment. Research also suggests selenium plays an important role in our immune system’s function, in thyroid hormone metabolism and in reproduction.
Selenium content of food is largely dependent on location and soil conditions, which vary widely.Good food sources of selenium include Brazil nuts, bread, fish, meat and eggs. If you eat these, you should be able to get all the selenium you need from your daily diet. The recommended daily intake is 75mcg (0.075mg) a day for men and 60mcg (0.06mg) a day for women. Taking 350mcg or less a day of selenium supplements is unlikely to cause any harm but too much selenium causes selenosis, a condition that, in its mildest form, can lead to loss of hair, skin and nails.
Selenium yeast is a form of supplemental selenium, which is also referred to as organic selenium.
Selenium Yeast Basics
Selenium yeast is produced using the microorganism Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is better known as baker’s yeast or brewer’s yeast. When the yeast is grown in a selenium-enriched medium, it absorbs the selenium and converts it into the form of selenium naturally found in foods, selenomethionine. The final product is used to fortify foods and to make supplements.
Your body depends on selenium to produce thyroid hormones and glutathione peroxidases, which are important antioxidants. If you have a selenium deficiency, taking selenium yeast ensures your body can continue to synthesize these essential substances.
Selenium supports the immune system by boosting the activity of white blood cells that fight infection and disease, according to a review in the scientific journal Endocrine in December 2014.
Selenium intake has been associated with lowering cholesterol, preventing cancer and treating Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, but research to date has produced inconclusive results.
Autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis). Research shows that taking 200 mcg of selenium daily along with thyroid hormone might decrease antibodies in the body that contribute to this condition. Selenium might also help improve mood and general feelings of well-being in people with this condition. Selenium also seems to improve quality of life in people with this condition. Taking selenium doses under 200 mcg daily might not be as effective, and it might be more beneficial in people with more severe cases.
This ingredient is found in the following Eudeamon products:
Quickview Fatigue, Mental PerformanceImprove mental and physical fatigue with Eudeamon Fatigue Assist supplement, a nutritional intervention formulated to help alleviate symptoms associated with physical, emotional and psychological fatigue.£32.95
- IMPROVE MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND MENTAL FATIGUE - This product has been designed to reduce fatigue and tiredness. The following nutrients have been shown to improve the feelings of fatigue : Magnesium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin C
- BOOST PSYCHOLOGICAL FUNCTION - This product has been formulated by specialists to improve psychological function, the following ingredients stimulate improved psychological function: Biotin, Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin Cd
- FORMULATED BY SPECIALISTS - Fatigue Assist has been formulated for you by Eudeamon Chemists and Therapists. Fatigue Assist can be taken alongside a healthy diet to improve psychological function and reduce associated emotional, mental or psychological fatigue
- TWO TO FOUR CAPSULES A DAY - Our potent formulation can be used in a tapered manner. Taking 4 capsules for up to 6 months then reduce to 2 capsules to maintain improvements seen to your fatigue
- SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS- Our Fatigue Assist product is suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians. The hard shell capsule is made from 100% plant friendly materials
Quickview Anxiety, Depression, Sleep, Stress60 capsules Improve your mental performance, general well being and enhance your mood with Eudeamon Therapy Plus.£32.95
- DETOXING PROPERTIES- A proprietary blend of ingredients targeting the irritability associated with detoxing/recovery
- CONTAINS INNOVATIVE INGREDIENTS TO PROMOTE HEALTH AND CLEANSING - Such as serotonin boosting 5HTP, NAcetyl-L-Cysteine, Trans- Resveratrol and Vitamin B6. The NAD in Therapy Plus is designed to reduce oxidative stress and agitation
- DESIGNED BY THERAPISTS & FORMULATED BY CHEMISTS - Therapy Plus has been formulated for Eudeamon by Specialists. We have worked together to create Therapy Plus to use in conjunction with a dextoxing program. This dietary capsule has been designed to be used alongside a healthy diet to improve general health and wellbeing, therapeutic intervention and aid in addiction recovery
- FOUR CAPSULES PER DOSAGE - Therapy Plus is a comprehensive dietary supplement designed to support a program of detoxing and cleansing. The four capsule dosage stimulates improvements to mental health
- SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS - Our Therapy Plus product is suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans. The hard shell capsule is made from 100% plant friendly materials. · Warning: Not to be taken with prescribed antidepressants.